Where did dogs come from?
Despite what you read about where dogs came from, the truth is we aren’t 100% sure. What we are sure of though is the closest living relative of the dog is the Gray wolf. Dogs were the first animals we domesticated. Exactly when we domesticated dogs is up for debate though. What we do know is that man’s best friend has been around man for quite a while, the oldest solid proof that dogs were hanging out with us when we were hunter gatherers, are the remains of a dog buried next to humans dating back 14,700 years.
Fun facts about dogs
- Dogs only sweat in places that don’t have fur on them.
- The average lifespan for all dog breeds is 10 to 13 years.
- Scooby Doo is a Great Dane
- Like us, dogs can also get diabetes, dental and heart disease, epilepsy, cancer, hypothyroidism, and arthritis
- The oldest dog in the Guinness Book of World Records died at 26 years and 9 months.
- Dogs have an average gestation period of 63 days.
- Border Collies are considered to be the smartest dog breed, a Border Collie named Chaser knew over 1,000 words
- Dogs are omnivores which means they can eat meat as well as vegetables and grains.
- Chihuahua’s are the smallest dog breed standing about 15 - 23 cm / 5.9 – 9.1 in tall and weighing about 1.5 - 4 kg / 3.3 – 6.6 lbs
- A Great Dane holds the record for the tallest dog - Zeus 1.1 m / 44 in
- An English Mastiff holds the record for the heaviest dog - Aicama Zorba 156 kg / 343 lbs
- Dogs have a third eyelid called a nictitating membrane which cleans and protects their cornea, makes 1/3 of their tears and produces antibodies to fight infection.
- The breeds with the longest average lifespans are Toy Poodles, Japanese Spitz, Border Terriers and Tibetan Spaniels - 14 to 15 years.
- A dog’s hearing range is between 67 Hz to 45 kHz. For comparison, a humans is between 20 Hz to 20 kHz.
- Smaller dogs on average live longer than larger dogs.
- Dogs sense of smell is anywhere between 1000 - 1 000 000 times greater than ours.
- Mixed breed dogs on average, live longer than purebred dogs
- The part of a dog's brain that makes sense of smells is 40 times greater than ours.
- Greyhounds are the fastest breed of dog, they can run up to 69 kmh / 43 mph
In 2017, America’s most popular dog breed for the 26th year in a row is the Labrador
- The breeds that have the shortest average lifespans are: Dogue de Bordeaux, Miniature Bull Terriers, Bloodhounds, and Irish Wolfhounds - 5-7 years.
- There are many plants that are toxic to dogs a few are: begonia, Poinsettia and aloe vera. ASPCA for a more comprehensive list
- There are a large number of food items that are toxic to dogs, these include alcohol, chocolate, chives, onion, garlic, grapes and raisins, nuts, xylitol (mouthwash, sugar free gum etc.), avocado, coffee and caffeine, coconut and coconut oil and many more. ASPCA for a more comprehensive list
Dogs do see color but not like we see it.
What you see
What a dog sees
Pictures of Dogs
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel